The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program is a school-wide, systems change program that is effective at reducing rates of bullying in a school if implemented with fidelity. Implementation should include the guidance and expertise of a Certified Olweus Trainer.
Two important resources are available to prepare your school for implementation of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program: the Readiness Assessment and the Bullying Questionnaire. The Readiness Assessment is free; the Bullying Questionnaire is a cost-effective tool available through Hazelden Publishing.
Is Your School Ready?
The Readiness Assessment will help you gauge how prepared your school is to implement the program. The assessment consists of 16 questions:
1. Have you used www.violencepreventionworks.org to gain a general understanding about the OBPP and to assess whether this program seems to be a good match for your school?
2. Have you discussed the program with a Certified Olweus Trainer so you understand what is required for implementing the program with fidelity?
3. Have key leaders at your school obtained and read the OBPP Schoolwide Guide and OBPP Teacher Guide, in order to become familiar with the program?
4. Do your administrators and the majority of teachers and other staff identify bullying prevention as a high priority for your school?
5. Have you obtained the commitment and active support of your building-level administrators to implement the OBPP?
6. Have teachers and other staff been made aware of the scope of the OBPP and its components, and do the majority support implementation of the OBPP?
7. Have you obtained the commitment and active support of district leadership (superintendent and school board) to implement the OBPP?
8. Have you identified representatives to serve on the Bullying Prevention Coordinating Committee (BPCC)? (See Schoolwide Guide CD-ROM documents 9 & 10 for required representation and tasks.)
9. Have you consulted with a Certified Olweus Trainer about training your BPCC and providing ongoing consultation, or have you made arrangements to have a staff person trained as a Certified Olweus Trainer?
10. Has your administrator set aside two full days for the training of the BPCC?
11. Has your administrator set aside one full day for the training of your school staff prior to the kick-off of the OBPP?
12. Have you identified a source of funding for BPCC training and consultation and enough program materials for implementation with fidelity?
13. Has your school committed to scheduling and conducting weekly class meetings (held for the equivalent of one class period)?
14. Has your school committed to surveying students on a yearly basis (grades 3 and higher) through use of the Olweus Bullying Questionnaire (see below)?
15. Has your school committed to holding regular staff discussion groups on the OBPP to ensure ongoing learning about the OBPP and its implementation in your school?
16. Is your school willing to make OBPP implementation a part of your school climate improvement efforts for at least three years?
If you answer “yes” to almost all of the items, your school is most likely ready to move forward to implement the OBPP. If not, we encourage you to use this assessment as a guide to help you prepare for implementation. Download a copy of the Readiness Assessment (PDF).
The Olweus Bullying Questionnaire: Find Out the Extent of Bullying in Your School
The Olweus Bullying Questionnaire is an important planning tool before and after program implementation.
- Includes a narrative report to help you interpret results
- Compares your school's results to national data
- Presents results in graphs already formatted on PowerPoint slides
- A District Report and Trends Report is also available.
Download the first two pages of the Olweus Bullying Questionnaire
View a sample standard report: 72 pages with an explanation of results, tables and graphs. (Contact your sales manager to receive access to this report.)
Scannable Questionnaire: Save the time and expense of manually processing questionnaire results with this scannable survey available in English and Spanish.
Online Questionnaire: The Olweus Bullying Questionnaire is also available in a secure online format. This eco-friendly option saves schools the time and expense of shipping and processing printed questionnaires. All administration instructions and final reports are delivered electronically.
Webinar: To learn more about how the Olweus Online Questionnaire Web site works, you can view this webinar given to Certified Olweus Trainers.